Why is it in the news?
- Recently, Energy Efficiency Services Limited has launched National Efficient Cooking Program and Energy Efficient Fans Program.
About National Efficient Cooking Programme
- Objective: Deploy 20 lakh induction cook-stoves across India.
- Focus: Non-Solar/Electricity-based Induction Cookstoves, supporting the ‘Go-electric’ initiative by the Ministry of Power.
- Part of Clean Cooking Scheme to promote efficient cooking methods.
About Energy Efficient Fans Programme
- Objective: Distribute 1 crore energy-efficient fans.
- Impact: Potentially reduce residential electricity consumption by nearly 20%.
- Established in 2009.
- Promoted by Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- Joint Venture between four public-sector undertakings: National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC); Power Finance Corporation Limited; REC Limited; and POWERGRID Corporation of India Limited.
- It is the key implementer of the National Mission for Enhanced Energy Efficiency, part of the National Action Plan on Climate Change.
Flagship Programs of EESL
- Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA): Distributed LED bulbs nationwide to reduce energy consumption.
- Street Lighting National Programme: Replaced traditional street lights with energy-efficient alternatives.
- Smart Meter National Programme: Deployed smart metering to improve billing and energy consumption tracking.
- Buildings Energy Efficiency Programme: Enhanced energy efficiency in buildings through technology upgrades and retrofitting.