Why is it in the news?
The Botanical Survey of India (BSI) has been granted recently, a patent by the Government of India for a “reusable straw and its manufacturing” process.
More about the news
- This reusable straw is created using a bamboo species called Schizostachyum Andamanicum, which is native to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The bamboo species was discovered on the islands around 30 years ago, and its economic potential has been recognized with the patent for the reusable straw.
- The development of the bamboo straw began in 2011 at the Dhanikhari Experimental Garden-cum-Arboretum, part of the BSI Regional Centre.
- The morpho-anatomical structure of the bamboo’s culm internodes was found to be similar to modern synthetic drinking straws, leading to the invention.
- Commercial production of the bamboo straws will depend on the cultivation of this endemic bamboo species in forested areas of the Andaman Islands.
Types of Intellectual Property Rights
|Copyright||· Protects creators’ rights over literary and artistic works.|
· Includes books, music, paintings, films, computer programs, and more.
|Patent||· Grants exclusive rights for inventions.|
· Allows patent owners to control how the invention is used by others.
· Requires public disclosure of technical information in a patent document.
|Trademark||· Used to distinguish goods or services of one company from others.|
· Typically represented by symbols, names, or logos.
|Industrial Design||· Focuses on the ornamental or aesthetic aspects of an article.|
· Includes elements like shape, surface, patterns, lines, or colours.
|Geographical Indications (GI)||· Indicates specific geographical origin of goods.|
· Links qualities or characteristics to the place of origin.
· Often includes the name of the origin.
|Trade Secrets||· Protects confidential information that can be sold or licensed.|
· Unauthorized acquisition or disclosure is considered unfair and a violation of trade secret protection.
(Topic: GS3: Environment & Biodiversity)