Why is it in the news?
Recently, the Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) issued an alert regarding the voluntary recall of Abbott India’s antacid syrup, Digene Gel, manufactured in Goa.
Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO)
- Apex regulatory department for pharmaceuticals and medical devices in India.
- Operates under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- Ensures safety, efficacy, and quality of drugs and medical devices.
- Approves licenses for various drug categories, including blood products and vaccines.
- Sets and enforces standards for drug manufacturing, sales, import, and distribution in India.
Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI)
- Head of CDSCO in the Government of India.
- Responsible for approving licenses for specific drug categories in India.
- Sets and maintains standards for drug manufacturing, sales, import, and distribution.
- Ensures pharmaceutical products meet quality and safety criteria.
- Plays a crucial role in safeguarding public health through regulatory oversight.
(Topic: GS2: Social issues)