Why is it in the news?
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has set a six-month timeframe for the Karnataka state government to address delays in declaring the eco-sensitive zone (ESZ) status for Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Encroachment issues within the sanctuary have escalated due to the prolonged delay in determining the ESZ.
|Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary
· Situated in Karnataka’s Shimoga District, established in 1974.
· Spans an area of 395 sq km and includes the Mandagadde Natural Bird Sanctuary.
· Notable habitat features include the Tunga Anicut Dam, providing a sanctuary for otters and water birds.