Why is it in the news?
- The Kerala Government established the Organic Farming Mission to promote sustainable organic and climate-smart farming practices in the state.
- In farms managed by the State Agriculture department, at least 10% of the area will be allocated for organic farming practices. Selected beneficiaries/farms of organic farming schemes are mandated to pursue organic farming for a minimum of five years.
About the Mission
- The mission aims to expand organic farming to 5,000 hectares in Kerala over the next five years.
- It has set an annual target of converting 1,000 hectares of farmland into organic farming.
- Incorporating Organic Farming
- The mission will work on expanding the system for certification, branding, and marketing of organic agricultural products from Kerala.
- An organic farming protocol, aligned with national and international standards, will be implemented to enhance marketing potential.
- The mission will focus on adding value to organic products, possibly through processing or other means.
- To ensure that farmers have access to high-quality seeds and production equipment/materials, it will be facilitated through small-scale units, Krishikoottam collectives, the Karshika Karma Sena, Kudumbasree, Krishisree Centre, and Agro Service Centres.
- The mission plans to formulate organic farming schemes in collaboration with Krishikoottam collectives and farmer producer organizations (FPO) in every Assembly constituency in Kerala.
|In September 2023, the Kerala Government created the Poshaka Samriddhi Mission to increase the production of millets and vegetables, indicating a broader focus on sustainable agriculture.|
· Kudumbashree, founded in 1997 in Kerala, is a poverty eradication and women empowerment initiative backed by the Government of India and National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
· Its mission, meaning ‘prosperity of the family’ in Malayalam, promotes democratic leadership and offers support networks to empower women within the Kudumbashree family.
- A Governing Council chaired by Agriculture Minister, will oversee the mission’s operations.
- An executive committee consisting of members from government departments and farm sector institutions will also be involved in managing the mission.
|· Organic Farming: According to FSSAI, organic farming is a farming approach focused on creating an agricultural ecosystem without synthetic inputs like chemical fertilizers, pesticides, hormones, or GMOs.|
· Organic Farm Produce: Organic farm produce refers to agricultural products grown using organic farming practices, following specific standards for organic production.
· Organic Food: Organic food products are those produced in accordance with organic production standards, ensuring they are free from synthetic chemicals and genetically modified organisms (GMOs).