Why is it in the news?
- Recently, volcanic eruption occurred at Mount Marapi, located on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia.
More about the news
- Marapi’s volcanic eruptions happen suddenly, making them challenging to predict.
- These eruptions are not triggered by deep magma movements that cause detectable tremors on seismic monitors.
- The source of eruptions is shallow and close to the peak of Mount Marapi.
|· Indonesia is situated on the Pacific “Ring of Fire,” a region known for high seismic and volcanic activity.
· The “Ring of Fire” is characterized by the collision of tectonic plates, leading to frequent earthquakes and significant volcanic eruptions.