Why is it in the news?
- India Innovation Centre for Graphene (IICG) has been established by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) in Kochi, Kerala.
- IICG is a joint venture comprising the Digital University of Kerala, Centre for Materials for Electronics Technology (C-MET), and Tata Steel Limited.
More about the news
- IICG aims to foster research and development in the field of Graphene and two-dimensional materials (2DM).
- The centre is dedicated to product innovation in the domain of Graphene and 2DM.
- Capacity building is a key focus, aiming to enhance expertise and skills in the area of Graphene.
- IICG will support the Graphene-Aurora program initiated by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY). The program aims to bridge the gap between research and development and commercialization by providing comprehensive facilities for startups and industries.
· Graphene is a two-dimensional form (allotrope) of carbon.
· Consists of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice resembling a honeycomb.
· Prepared by heating Graphite, Coal tar, or Shellac, or a mixture of these three in an inert atmosphere.
· Properties: High Surface Area; Good Biocompatibility; Strong mechanical strength; and excellent thermal conductivity.
· Used in super-capacitors, touchscreens, and for improving energy storage.
· Applied in targeted drug delivery and other medical applications.
· Utilized in developing stealth coatings and other defence-related applications.
· Employed in environmental monitoring and other sensitive sensing applications.
Centre of Excellence in Intelligent Internet of Things (IoT) Sensors
- Alongside IICG, the Centre of Excellence in Intelligent IoT Sensors was also launched.
- Objectives include: Creating incubation facilities for IoT sensors; Building capacity in intelligent IoT sensors; and Promoting research and innovation in the field.
· IoT refers to the interconnection of computing devices in everyday lives with the internet.
· Intelligent IoT is integration with Artificial Intelligence (AI) to enhance capabilities and functionalities.