Why is it in the news?
- Recently, India issued a travel advisory for Indian nationals in Canada in response to a travel advisory issued by Canada for its citizens traveling to India.
- India cited “politically condoned violence” as the reason for the advisory and urged Indian nationals in Canada to register with Indian missions for safety.
More about the news
- The advisory from the Indian Ministry of External Affairs expressed concerns about anti-India activities and hate crimes in Canada.
- The advisory noted threats targeting Indian diplomats and Indian community members who oppose anti-India agendas.
- The diplomatic tension escalated after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made allegations against India, blaming Indian agents for the murder of a pro-Khalistan ideologue in British Columbia.
- Canada expelled a diplomat from the Indian High Commission in Ottawa, alleging that he was the head of the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) of India.
- India responded by expelling a senior Canadian diplomat.
- Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau stated that he did not intend to provoke India and called on the Indian government to take the situation seriously.