Why is it in the news?
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Bhopal, have accomplished the groundbreaking task of genome sequencing for the jamun tree.
|Genome sequencing is the process of determining the complete DNA sequence of an organism’s genome.
More about the news
- Jamun, scientifically known as Syzygium cumini, is esteemed in India for its medicinal properties, fruit quality, and ornamental value.
- Particularly recognized for its anti-diabetic properties, it holds a significant place in Ayurveda for treating various health ailments.
- The jamun genome exhibits an increased number of coding genes, a result of gene duplication. Gene duplication allows jamun to acquire novel functions, contributing to its unique characteristics.
- Presence of diverse metabolites in jamun responsible for its medicinal properties, including anti-diabetic, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-arthritic attributes.
- Jamun possesses genes contributing to adaptive evolution, making the plant robust and enhancing stress tolerance such as damage-inducing weeds and insects, heat stress, salinity, and drought.