Why is it in the news?
- The Lok Sabha recently passed the Central Universities (Amendment) Bill, 2023, falling under the Ministry of Education, which proposes amendments to the Central Universities Act, 2009.
About the Bill
- Aims to provide avenues for higher education and research facilities with specific focus on the tribal population of India.
- The Bill includes provisions for establishing the ‘Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University’ and the territorial jurisdiction of the university will be the state of Telangana.
|Sammakka Sarakka Central Tribal University
· Named after the prominent tribal figures Sammakka and Sarakka.
· Reflects the recognition of tribal contributions and the focus on their educational upliftment.
· The primary objective of the university is to enhance higher education opportunities and research capabilities, emphasizing the importance of education for overall development.