Why is it in the news?
- Recently inaugurated by Prime Minister Modi, the Mumbai Trans Harbour Link (MTHL), also known as Atal Setu, is a transformative infrastructure project in Maharashtra.
- The bridge spans a total length of 21.8 kilometres.
- It comprises a remarkable 16.5 kilometres over the sea and an additional 5.5 kilometres on land.
- Constructed at a cost of approximately ₹17,840 crore.
- Built with state-of-the-art, corrosion-resistant materials.
- Engineered to withstand a range of challenges, including earthquakes, cyclones, high wind pressures, and tidal forces.
- Equipped with cutting-edge technology to ensure a smooth commuting experience.
- Features an Intelligent Traffic Management System for efficient traffic flow.
- Incorporates a Video Incident Detection System for real-time monitoring and incident detection.
- Implements a Speed Enforcement System to maintain safe speeds on the bridge.
- Emergency Call Boxes are strategically placed for immediate communication during emergencies.
- Atal Setu holds the distinction of being the longest bridge in the country.
- It also claims the title of the longest sea bridge in India.
- The bridge has a profound impact on connectivity, reducing the travel time between Mumbai and Navi Mumbai from 2 hours to just 20 minutes.