Why is it in the news?
- The Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying has launched the ‘A-HELP’ (Accredited Agent for Health and Extension of Livestock Production) program in Jharkhand.
About the Program
- The program is initiated through an MoU between the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying (DAHD) and the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM) under the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD).
- The aim of the A-HELP program is to promote livestock health, extension services, and women’s empowerment, leading to improved livestock productivity and rural development.
- The program is being implemented in various States/UTs, including Bihar, Gujarat, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and Jharkhand.
- It focuses on enhancing access to veterinary services at the farmer’s doorstep and empowering Pashu Sakhis. (Pashu Sakhis are women living in rural areas who undergo training to assist in livestock health, providing breeding assistance, veterinary care, and medicines to the livestock).