Why is it in the news?
- Scientists in northeastern France have recently discovered a significant deposit of “white hydrogen,” considered as one of the largest concentrations of this clean energy source ever found.
- White hydrogen is natural hydrogen found within the Earth’s crust.
- It is a clean-burning energy source.
|· Green hydrogen: Produced from renewable energy sources through the electrolysis of water.|
· Grey, brown, or black hydrogen: Derived from fossil sources.
- Seen as a potentially vast and untapped clean energy source.
- Estimated cost is approximately $1 per kilogram.
- Green hydrogen is around $6 per kilogram, making white hydrogen more affordable.
- White hydrogen deposits identified globally such as US, eastern Europe, Russia, Australia, Oman, France, and Mali.