Why is it in the news?
- Kozhikode in Kerala was recently added to UNESCO’s Creative Cities Network (UCCN).
- Further, Gwalior from Madhya Pradesh also joins the network, bringing the total new additions to 55 cities.
- Kozhikode is recognized for literature; Gwalior for music.
|About Kozhikode’s Literary|
· Home to many of Kerala’s notable literary figures.
· Houses numerous publishing banners and libraries.
· The first Malayalam novel, “Kundalatha”, was penned in Kozhikode in 1887 by Appu Nedungadi.
· Birthplace and home to renowned writers like S K Pottekkatt, Vaikom Muhammad Basheer, Uroob, and more.
· Has contributed significantly to film and theatre over the past 50 years.
|Indian Cities in the UCCN|
· Kozhikode (Literature)
· Gwalior (Music)
· Varanasi (Music)
· Srinagar (Crafts and Folk Arts)
· Chennai (Music)
About UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN)
- Established in 2004.
- Aims to foster cooperation among cities prioritizing creativity for sustainable development.
- Currently has 350 cities from over 100 countries.
- Focuses on promoting cultural diversity, resilience against threats like climate change and rapid urbanization, and encourages creativity in urban solutions.
Cities in the network represent seven creative fields
- Crafts and Folk Arts
- Media Arts
Objective of the UCCN
- Recognize creativity as crucial for urban development.
- Facilitate partnerships between public and private sectors, along with civil society.
- Aims to nurture hubs of creativity and innovation and expand opportunities for cultural professionals.
- Aligns with the UN’s agenda for sustainable development.
Areas of Action for the UCCN
- Implementation at both city and international levels.
- Sharing of experiences, knowledge, and best practices among cities.
- Professional and artistic exchange programs.
- Research and evaluations on the experiences of the member cities.
Annual Conference of Network Cities
- Provides a platform for mayors and stakeholders of network cities to interact and strengthen ties.
- Focuses on exchanging information on policies and activities of cities and promoting collaborations.
- Last conference took place in Santos, Brazil.
- The current year’s conference was in
- The next conference is slated for July 2024 in Braga, Portugal.