Why is it in the news?
- Recently, the Tamil writer Sivasankari received the ‘Saraswati Samman’ 2022 for her book of memoirs titled “Surya Vamsam.”
- “Surya Vamsam” consists of two volumes and traces the journey of an innocent child evolving into a celebrated author while also highlighting societal transformations over seven decades.
- The award is presented by the K.K. Birla Foundation. The award includes a citation, a plaque, and prize money of ₹15 lakh.
More about the news
- Sivasankari, born in 1942, has a literary career spanning more than five decades and has authored numerous novels, novelettes, short stories, travelogues, essays, and biographies.
- Her notable work, “Knit India Through Literature,” is a four-volume compendium of Indian literature.
- Many of her works have been translated into various Indian languages, as well as English, Japanese, and Ukrainian.
About Saraswati Samman
- The Saraswati Samman is awarded annually for an outstanding literary work published by an Indian citizen in the last 10 years in any language listed in Schedule VIII of the Indian Constitution.
- This award has been presented 32 times since its inception.