Why is it in the news?
- Peregrine Mission One encountered a technical issue within its propulsion system, resulting in a critical loss of propellant.
|About the Mission
· It is a lunar landing mission conducted by the private spaceflight company Astrobotic.
· The mission is partially funded by NASA.
· It involves the Peregrine lander, a cargo transport craft designed to carry multiple payloads from various clients to the lunar surface simultaneously.
· The primary goal of Peregrine Mission One is to pave the way for the Artemis program.
· The Artemis program aims to land humans on the lunar surface by the end of the decade.
· Peregrine Mission One carried several scientific payloads to the lunar surface, contributing to lunar exploration and research.
The payloads include:
· Near Infrared Volatile Spectrometer System (NIRVSS)
· Linear Energy Transfer Spectrometer (LETS)
· Laser Retroreflector Array (LRA)
· PROSPECT Ion-Trap Mass Spectrometer for Lunar Surface Volatiles (PITMS)
· Navigation Doppler Lidar (NDL)