Why is it in the news?
- Classical dancer and choreographer Vasanthalakshmi Narasimhachari received the prestigious ‘Nritya Kalanidhi’ award at the 17th Dance Festival of The Music Academy.
- Vasanthalakshmi Narasimhachari is known for her expertise in both Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi, showcasing a remarkable versatility in classical dance forms.
About Nritya Kalanidhi Award
- The ‘Nritya Kalanidhi’ award is an annual recognition in the field of dance presented by the renowned Madras Music Academy.
- The Music Academy, Madras, holds a distinguished position as a landmark institution in the history of fine arts.
- It emerged as an outcome of the All-India Congress Session held in Madras in December 1927.
- The institution was conceived with the ambitious goal of setting and upholding high standards for Carnatic music.
- A significant event organized by the Music Academy is its annual music and dance festival, attracting artists and art enthusiasts from around the country.
- The Music Academy plays a pivotal role in recognizing and honouring excellence in the field of music and dance.
- Apart from Nritya Kalanidhi, various other awards such as Sangita Kalanidhi, Sangita Kala Acharya, TTK, and Musicologist awards are presented during the annual festival.