Why is it in the news?
- Recently, five additional sports have been approved for inclusion in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).
- The newly added sports are baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, lacrosse, and squash.
More about the news
Addition of new sports
- Flag football and squash will make their Olympic debut in the Los Angeles 2028 Olympics.
- Baseball/softball, cricket, and lacrosse are returning to the Olympic Games after some time. Baseball/softball was last featured at Tokyo 2020, cricket was part of the Olympic program in Paris 1900, and lacrosse was included in St Louis 1904 and London 1908.
International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to promoting a better world through sport and redistributes a significant portion of its income to support athletes and sports organizations worldwide.
- The modern Olympic Games are the largest multi-sport event, featuring a wide range of sports, athletes from all National Olympic Committees, and a global audience.
- The Olympic Games are held every four years, alternating between summer and winter editions since 1994.
- The first modern Olympic Games took place in Athens, Greece, in 1896, with the first winter edition in Chamonix, France, in 1924.