Why is it in the news?
- Bengaluru hosts the Kambala Festival, featuring the traditional buffalo race, a unique and popular sport among Karnataka’s farming community.
About the festival
- It’s an annual cultural celebration typically held after the southwest monsoon, post-harvest season of paddy.
- Starts in November and continues until March/April.
- Particularly popular among the farming community, emphasizing a connection between the festival and agricultural activities.
- Represents a blend of tradition, sport, and agriculture in the local culture.