Why is it in the news?
- A case of the JN.1 subvariant of COVID-19 identified in Kerala during routine surveillance by INSACOG.
- A subvariant of Omicron (BA.2.86 or Pirola) with an additional spike protein mutation.
- Shows the potential for rapid spread and immune evasion, emphasizing the need for ongoing monitoring.
- Reported symptoms include fever, runny nose, sore throat, headache, and mild gastrointestinal symptoms.
|About INSACOG (Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomics Consortium)
· A network of genomic laboratories dedicated to monitoring COVID-19 in India from a genomic perspective.
· Involves the participation of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).