Why is it in the news?
- Several tribal skilled artisans, including Durga Bai Vyam, have made significant contributions to fostering tribal art and culture.
- Durga Bai Vyam was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian honor in India, in 2022.
- Gond art is a traditional tribal art style that evolved from the Gondi people in central India, particularly in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh regions.
- It is one of India’s most vivid and unique tribal art traditions, known for its vibrant and detailed depictions of nature, legends, and daily life.
- Intricate Patterns: Gond art is renowned for its intricate patterns, dots, and lines used to create detailed and artistically pleasing compositions.
- Flora and Fauna: Many Gond art pieces feature the region’s flora and fauna, including animals, birds, trees, and other natural aspects.
- Mythology and Folklore: Tribal mythology and folklore are frequently used in Gond art, incorporating mythical animals, gods, and goddesses from Gondi mythology into the artwork.