Why is it in the news?
- Gujarat has declared the Ghol species as the state fish during the Global Fisheries Conference India 2023.
More about the news
- The Ghol fish is widely distributed in the Indo-Pacific region, ranging from the Persian Gulf to the Pacific Ocean.
- The swim bladders of Ghol fish are highly prized due to their medicinal and commercial value.
- The swim bladders of Ghol fish are used to prepare isinglass, a form of collagen primarily employed for clarifying wine and beer.
- In traditional medicine, Ghol fish swim bladders are believed to have properties that can prevent bleeding in patients with urinary problems.
- Ghol fish swim bladders may also find applications in the cosmetics industry.
- Ghol fish is exported to countries in Southeast Asia, including Hong Kong, Singapore, and Malaysia.