Why is it in the news?
- India has been appointed as the first vice-chair of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Committee on Fisheries (COFI) Sub-Committee on Fisheries Management marking the first time in 59 years.
- The appointment comes amid growing global concerns about China’s illegal fishing activities in international waters, attracting condemnation for engaging in illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing in the exclusive economic zones of over 80 countries.
- India’s inclusion in the committee is viewed as a step towards bringing balance and perspective to the global discourse on fisheries governance and management.
|About Committee on Fisheries (COFI)
· COFI was established in 1965 and stands as the sole global inter-governmental platform dedicated to examining significant international fisheries and aquaculture problems and issues.
· It operates as a subsidiary body of the FAO Council.
· COFI membership is open to FAO Members, and non-Members can participate as observers without voting rights.
· Representatives from the UN, its bodies, specialized agencies, regional fishery bodies, and international non-governmental organizations are involved in debates.
· COFI assesses the FAO work program related to fisheries, conducts regular reviews of global fishery issues, and proposes potential solutions.
· The committee has played a crucial role in negotiating global agreements and non-binding instruments related to fisheries.
· COFI has two subsidiary bodies: the Sub-Committee on Aquaculture and the Sub-Committee on Fish Trade.
· COFI has played a key role in negotiating important agreements such as the Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries and the Agreement on Compliance with International Conservation and Management Measures by Fishing Vessels on the High Seas.
About Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
· FAO is a specialized agency of the United Nations.
· Its primary objective is to lead global efforts to end hunger and ensure food security for everyone.
· FAO was established on October 16, 1945.
· The headquarters of FAO is located in Rome, Italy.