Why is it in the news?
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has achieved a significant milestone by completing the development of its advanced counter-drone system.
Key Features of Counter-Drone System
- The counter-drone system is a comprehensive solution that covers the entire spectrum of drone threats, from detection to identification and neutralization.
- The technology embedded in the system allows for the effective counteraction of drone attacks.
- Soft kill measures and hard kill methods can be implemented, providing a flexible response to various types of drones, including micro drones.
- Users have the flexibility to customize the system to address specific challenges and adapt it to different scenarios. This adaptability enhances the system’s effectiveness in diverse operational environments.
- To facilitate wider production and deployment, DRDO has transferred the technology to key private industries. Beneficiaries include Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL), Adani, Larsen & Toubro (L&T), and Icom.
|Other Noteworthy DRDO Technologies
· Tapas Medium Altitude Long Endurance (MALE) UAV: Currently in advanced developmental trials; Designed for Intelligence, Surveillance, Target Acquisition, and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) applications.
Note: ISTAR represents a military concept integrating various technologies for gathering and analysing information, crucial for strategic and tactical decision-making.
· Archer – Short-Range Armed UAV: Undergoing developmental flight trials; Primarily designed for reconnaissance, surveillance, and addressing low-intensity conflict situations.