Why is it in the news?
- Recently, the Court of Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities (PwD) delivered following two judgments:
1) Court mandated that any government office in the country, operating from buildings that are not accessible to Divyangjan (differently-abled individuals), must relocate their services to the ground floor or an accessible location within the same facility.
2) The Court emphasized that all airlines operating in the country, whether Indian or foreign, are responsible for implementing the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016 (RPwD Act).
|Office of Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities|
· The Office of Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities was established under the Persons with Disabilities Act, 1995 (PwD Act).
· The RPwD Act 2016 (which replaced the PwD Act, 1995) provides for the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities and two Commissioners.
· The primary mandate of this office is to take steps to safeguard the rights of Persons with Disabilities (PwD) and to identify any program or policy inconsistent with the RPwD Act.
· The Ministry responsible for overseeing the Office of Chief Commissioner of Persons with Disabilities is the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Key steps taken by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment for Persons with Disabilities (PwDs)
National Action Plan (NAP) for Skill Development of PwDs:
- This plan aims to provide skill training to Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) to enable them to become self-reliant.
- NAP is implemented under the Scheme for Implementation of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016.
Scheme of Assistance to PwDs for Purchase/Fitting of Aids/Appliances (ADIP Scheme):
- The ADIP Scheme is designed to provide assistance to PwDs for the purchase and fitting of aids and appliances.
- These aids and appliances can greatly improve the quality of life and independence of individuals with disabilities.
Accessible India Campaign (Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan):
- The Accessible India Campaign, also known as Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan, focuses on various aspects of accessibility for PwDs.
- It aims to develop an accessible physical environment, transportation system, and information & communication ecosystem for PwDs.
- The campaign strives to make public spaces and facilities more inclusive and accessible for all individuals, regardless of their disabilities.