Why is it in the news?
- Union Home Ministry reconstitutes a High-Powered Committee to examine Ladakh’s demands for constitutional safeguards, including Sixth Schedule inclusion and tribal status.
About High Powered Committee
- Chairperson: Minister of State for Home.
- Composition: 22 members, inclusive of representatives from both Kargil and Leh divisions.
Terms of Reference:
- Discuss measures to protect Ladakh’s unique culture and language, considering its geographical and strategic significance.
- Ensure protection of land and employment for Ladakh residents.
- Discuss empowerment measures for Ladakh Autonomous Hill District Councils of Leh and Kargil.
- Examine constitutional safeguards for the outlined protection measures.
Sixth Schedule of the Constitution
|Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura, and Mizoram
|Formation of Autonomous District Councils (ADCs) with legislative, judicial, and administrative autonomy within a state.
|Composition of ADCs
|Up to 30 members with a five-year term.
Four nominated by the governor, and 26 elected through adult franchise (exception for Bodoland Territorial Council in Assam with more than 40 members).
Each autonomous region has a separate regional council.
|Powers of ADCs
|Civil and judicial powers: Can establish village courts for tribal cases within their jurisdiction.
Legislative powers: Empowered to legislate on land, forests, fisheries, social security, etc., with governor approval.
Acts of Parliament or state legislature may not apply or apply with specified modifications and exceptions in autonomous districts and regions.