Why is it in the news?
- Launched by the Prime Minister, the Boeing Sukanya Program aims to facilitate the entry of girls into the aviation sector.
- The program is designed to provide girls and women with opportunities to acquire crucial STEM skills, focusing on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, which are essential for careers in aviation.
More about the news
- As part of the Boeing Sukanya Program, STEM Labs will be established at 150 planned locations. These labs are intended to ignite interest in STEM careers among young girls, providing them with hands-on experiences and exposure to various STEM disciplines.
- Scholarships will be made available to support women who are undergoing training to become pilots.
- The program acknowledges the current representation of women in the aviation sector, stating that 15 percent of India’s pilots are women. This figure is noteworthy as it is three times higher than the global average, showcasing progress in gender inclusion within the industry.
- According to the All-India Survey on Higher Education, female enrolment in STEM courses has increased to 42.6% in the academic year 2021-22.
- Despite the growth in enrolment, women’s participation in the STEM workforce remains comparatively low at 14% in the year 2021.
- Factors contributing to the under-representation of women in STEM fields include Skill inadequacy; Lack of role models; Safety concerns during the commute to work; Societal pressures and constraints related to domestic life, such as expectations around marriage, childbirth, etc.
Initiatives by India to Promote Women in STEM
- Knowledge Involvement Research Advancement through Nurturing (KIRAN) scheme.
- Pragati Scholarship and TechSaksham Programme.
- Vigyan Jyoti Scheme.
|Boeing India Engineering & Technology Center (BIETC) Campus
· Inaugurated by the Prime Minister, the Boeing India Engineering & Technology Centre (BIETC) campus serves as a focal point for innovation in the aviation sector.
· The campus is dedicated to driving advancements in the aerospace and defence industries.
· BIETC is envisioned to be at the forefront of developing next-generation products and services that will contribute to the global aerospace sector’s growth and technological progress.