Why is it in the news?
- The Indian government has allocated Rs 100 crore for the Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP) in the current financial year.
- ABP is designed to improve governance at the block level and enhance the quality of life of citizens.
- The program is being implemented in 500 aspirational blocks across 329 districts in the country.
- The government’s goal is for all 500 blocks to reach the state average in terms of development within three years.
Aspirational Blocks Programme (ABP)
- ABP is a development initiative aimed at improving the performance of areas that lag on various development parameters.
- It was announced in the Union Budget 2022-23 and was launched during the 2nd National Conference of Chief Secretaries in January 2022.
- Initially, it covers 500 districts across 31 states and Union Territories, with a focus on six states: Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Odisha, and West Bengal.
- ABP is built upon the foundation of the Aspirational District Programme (ADP).
Aspirational District Programme (ADP)
- ADP was launched in 2018 with the goal of transforming districts that exhibit relatively slower progress in key social areas.
- It covers 112 districts across India.
- NITI Aayog anchors the program at the national level, while individual Ministries are responsible for driving progress in these districts.
- The program emphasizes convergence, collaboration, and competition among districts to foster inclusive development.
- The delta ranking system ranks districts based on incremental progress across 49 Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) under five socio-economic themes.
Objectives of ADP
- Localize Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and promote inclusive growth.
- Encourage districts to catch up with the best-performing district within their state and aspire to become one of the best in the country.
- Foster competitive and cooperative federalism.
Parameters for Ranking
The ranking is based on incremental progress across five broad socio-economic themes:
- Health & Nutrition (30% weightage)
- Education (30% weightage)
- Agriculture & Water Resources (20% weightage)
- Financial Inclusion & Skill Development (10% weightage)
- Infrastructure (10% weightage)
Various Initiatives under ADP
NITI Aayog has launched several flagship initiatives within the ADP framework, including:
- Saksham Bitiyan Abhiyan
- Anemia Mukt Bharat
- Surakshit Hum Surakshit Tum